Russell's Story  - 

Russell’s Story

My name is Russell, and I’m a lifelong Richmond resident. Over 10 years ago, my painful battle with chronic kidney stones began. Richmond Hospital’s urologic surgical team has played a crucial role in my medical journey. Today, I’d like to share my story with you in the hopes that you’ll join me in supporting this amazing hospital that has been there for me, every step of the way.

In my mid-thirties, I experienced my first kidney stone attack. It was completely shocking— the most extreme pain I had ever felt. What started as a dull ache, quickly grew into an intense, radiating pain.

We made it to Richmond Hospital’s Emergency Department in less than 15 minutes, just as I thought I might pass out from the pain. I couldn’t believe how thankful I was to have a hospital so close to home.

The hospital staff acted fast to get my pain under control with medication. After running some tests, it was clear that I had a severe case of kidney stones. I was referred to Dr. Ken Poon and Dr. Kiara Hennesey, two of Richmond Hospital’s urologic surgeons.

In moments like this, your support of Richmond Hospital means more than anything. I want to personally thank you. As you know, during the first wave of COVID-19, many scheduled surgeries like mine had to be postponed. Now, the hospital is tackling a huge backlog. Would you please continue to give today to support Richmond Hospital through this challenging time?

Kidney stone attacks can come and go, lasting hours, days or sometimes weeks. They affect up to 15 percent of the population at some point in their lives. My father and grandfather both experienced the agony of chronic kidney stones. I can remember seeing my tough grandfather lying in the fetal position on the floor, in tears, as a result of a kidney stone attack. I never quite understood until it happened to me.

When it’s happening, it’s debilitating. There’s no amount of medicine that will numb it.

Solid material typically forms in the kidney and leaves the body in the urine stream. For some people, stones grow too large, resulting in blockages, severe pain, blood in the urine and nausea. In severe cases like mine, surgery is needed.

It has been a huge relief to be under the care of such a dedicated and capable surgical team.

To date, I have had two surgeries to pulverize the kidney stones. The procedures both took less than 60 minutes. After each surgery and several weeks of recovery time, I was thrilled to be back to my normal self, pain free.

Given my family history, it is highly likely that I will need surgery again in the future. It is reassuring to know that at Richmond Hospital I have an amazing team of surgeons who are ready to perform procedures like this as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I have seen firsthand that Richmond Hospital is home to incredibly compassionate, highly talented surgeons and health care professionals. I can’t say enough about the care I’ve received.

My story is just one example of so many thousands of people who rely on Richmond Hospital for surgical treatments. Each year, Richmond Hospital is home to more than 4,000 inpatient surgeries and more than 5,000 outpatient surgeries.

Your support ensures that Richmond Hospital can continue to be here for us and our families when we need it most. Please give generously.

I hope my story has inspired you to support the hospital that we are so lucky to have right here in our own community.

Supporter of Richmond Hospital Foundation

P.S. Please donate today to help Richmond Hospital keep up with a high demand for surgical care.

Donate now to Richmond Hospital Foundation