Flora's Story  - 

Flora’s Story

My name is Flora. I’ve lived in Richmond since 2001, and in recent years, I have come to realize just how lucky we are to have an amazing hospital here in our community. I want to share my story with you in the hopes that you will be inspired to join me in supporting Richmond Hospital.

About eight years ago, I was diagnosed with fibroids. From 2017, my doctor was monitoring my health carefully and informed me that there may come a day when the bleeding would become too much. I would need to be ready to get to the hospital fast.

Then, August 27, 2017 happened. It was one of the most frightening days of my life. I woke up feeling very nauseous. My daughter, Lucy, watched all colour drain from my face just before I fainted. When I came to, I was extremely weak and pale.

I was losing blood too fast. Lucy helped me to the car and rushed me to emergency at Richmond Hospital.

The doctors and nurses knew what to do right away. They immediately drew my blood to find a match from the blood bank. They admitted me, started running tests, and in less than 10 minutes, an emergency physician was by my side. The medical team gave me a first blood transfusion in less than an hour.

There is no doubt in my mind—the fast action taken by the emergency health care team saved my life that day.

Your gifts mean so much to people like me who are in need of lifesaving medical interventions. Please give today so more Richmond residents can receive expert care in their time of need.

Over the course of the day, I needed three full bags of blood. The nurses told me, “Thank goodness you made it here”.

By the third bag, it was 8pm. Although I was in stable condition, my blood pressure was very low and the bleeding continued. Untreated anemia can be life-threatening. Complications like heart failure or heart attack can quickly arise with that amount of blood loss.

First thing the next morning, I had an appointment with gynecologist, Dr. Cigdem Arkuran. She told me that in order for the bleeding to stop, I needed to have surgery as soon as possible—it absolutely could not wait.

I was scheduled for surgery just two days later. I am so grateful for the timely and professional care I received at Richmond Hospital.

Often, we hear there are long waits in the medical system. When it’s an emergency, a matter of life and death, there is no waiting. Everyone showed urgency to do what was best for me and to save my life.

Before the surgery, Dr. Akuran went through the plan in great detail, with drawings. She made sure I understood what she was about to do. I knew I was in very capable hands. The surgery went very well and I continued to be seen as an outpatient over the next three months. With anemia, healing after surgery can be more complicated, with a greater risk of infection. Three times a week, I went in to have the dressings changed and the wound monitored.

When I was finally healed and discharged, it was great cause for celebration!

Today, I feel better than ever. I am strong. I have energy to spare, and I can get back to living my life. I cherish spending time with my family, and I’m thrilled to be back at work in full capacity.

I get emotional when I think of that day. I think of the nurses and doctors who were quick on their feet and made the right decisions to keep me alive and get me well. On top of that, I think of all of my neighbours who have donated to support emergency care at Richmond Hospital.

It’s something I will never forget, and will never take for granted. That’s why I wanted to share my story with you today.

The impact that can be made by even a small gesture, like sending in a donation, is huge. My life is evidence of that. Please join me in supporting Richmond Hospital today.

Supporter of Richmond Hospital Foundation

P.S. Please donate today to support urgent medical care at Richmond Hospital.

Donate now to Richmond Hospital Foundation