Dana's Story  - 

Dana’s Story

My name is Dana. I have lived in Richmond for more than three decades, and in that time, I have seen a lot of growth and change in our community. I’ve even had a hand in some of that change in my work as a developer. As our population grows, it’s more important than ever that we have a fully-equipped local hospital that can grow with the community.

Last year, I had a personal experience that made me realize how important our hospital truly is…

It started in the spring of 2020. I was feeling pretty much normal, but had started to notice some mild discomfort in my lungs when I exercised. Within a few weeks, I was struggling to catch my breath throughout the day and felt exhausted most of the time. Given the timing, I thought I might have Covid-19.

It only got worse. I was waking up several times each night, gasping for air and my heart started to beat irregularly.

Based on the symptoms, my family doctor suspected a respiratory problem and referred me to a respirologist. I waited for my specialist appointment, but in the meantime, my health continued to deteriorate.

One morning I looked down and noticed my ankles were swollen. My wife recognized it as edema, which we both knew could be a sign of congestive heart failure.

She drove me to the hospital right away.

When there is a medical crisis, we all want to know there are doctors and nurses nearby, ready to provide high-quality urgent care.

I knew I was in good hands. Dr. Paul Gosset was there within minutes and ordered a comprehensive range of tests to determine what was causing the problem.

I was given medication to stabilize my heart and blood pressure, and reduce fluid around my heart and lungs. After 24 hours of taking this medication, I was able to breathe easier and my heart rate was less chaotic. Even this small improvement was an incredible relief.

Following an EKG, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), Ultrasound, and stress test, Dr. Gosset sat with me and carefully explained my diagnosis.

I did not have any blockages or constrictions in my heart, which was great news. However, I did have severe atrial fibrillation, a problem with the electrical impulses to my heart that was causing it to beat irregularly.

I was referred to cardiologist, Dr. Andrew Jakubowski, for follow-up care. Under his care, in December of last year, I received my first cardioversion, where an electrical impulse was sent to my heart to restore its normal rhythm.

Today, I’m feeling so much better than I was at this time last year. I am so grateful for my health.

Experiencing a heart complication can be very overwhelming. There are no words to express how grateful I am to the incredibly competent doctors and nurses at Richmond Hospital.

My personal experience is just one example of how critical it can be to have a hospital close to home.

I hope my story has inspired you. Today, I invite you to join me in supporting this amazing hospital that we are so lucky to have. Please give generously.


P.S. Please donate today to support urgent medical care at Richmond Hospital.

Donate now to Richmond Hospital Foundation